Sunday, March 15, 2020

I was thinking about Fiesta Week and machine guns ...

I liked the way the people in the 1910 era San Antonio threw themselves into Fiesta Week, they hosted a lot of parades with a lot of money as prizes. One of the first places in town to get outdoor lighting was the parade stands at Alamo Plaza. In 1917 the governor of Texas took the week off and spent it in San Antonio so that he could soak up the party atmosphere. I especially liked the fact that the festive atmosphere in the Spring of 1917 led to the Sons of St. Vitus (the burlesque parade) allowing a loaded Singer machine gun to be fired into the air.

Take a look at the google map I created - click on the parade routes, I have pictures of the floats for some of them. For some of them I added the people responsible for making the parade a success. Who knew Porter-Loring of funeral home fame was such a party animal?


View San Antonio Fiesta Parade Routes 1917 in a larger map

No comments: