Sunday, March 15, 2020

Valeriano Ozuna



RIP 1867 - 1938


This is my great-grandfather, he was baptised on Feb 15, 1867 at Sacred Heart in Von Ormy, Texas (born Jan 30 1867) and died in San Antonio, Texas. I would not call him a man of the world. He was a very hard worker at the Perrin Ranch and later in San Antonio at the Belgian Farm (the supplier to San Antonio's truck markets) running the irrigation pumps. He lived in a very small home on San Patricio street, his neighbors were the Pecan Shellers and other laboring people. Tuburculosis is endemic at during the 1920's - 1930's, his two daughters and brother died prematurely from complications.

My daughter says his face looks kind. I am peering into his face looking for family resemblances. I don't see it yet, maybe one of the nephews will grow a mustache soon.

In the photo, his tie is painted on. I don't think he owned a tie. He is something of a mystery, I don't know a lot more than I know about him. My Dad gave me a set of papers that chronicle my great-grandfathers city lot acquisition, his relationship with tenants (not very good), and his partial ownership of a dance hall on 1220 Montezuma in 1924. He was one of the founders of the Club Patritico Colonial Nicolas Bravo, formed as a benevolent association. The main purpose was to have all Hispanic children in San Antonio attending public school.

I still think its pretty cool that I found his photo a put him in the blog.

1 comment:

waiting for a name said...

you have been given the sisterhood award!!

http://mamidepaz.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-got-sisterhood-award.html